Thursday, September 1, 2011

At Sea Day


The journey from Italy to Greece was a very long venture, too long to arrive in Mykonos by the next morning. By about 5am we were traveling through the Straights of Massena. It was way too dark to take pictures, but the lighted shore was so beautiful, you will just have to take my word for it! The shore was lit up in all different colors and the land seemed to stretch forever as we plowed through the sea. But in the end I retired back to my bed to rest before the morning really got underway.

By 9am I was up and ready in the fitness center. My aunt had some how convinced me to participate in the spin class (biking) with her. I had never done a spin class before so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. For an hour we continually replicated the experience of biking up a mountain using standing bikes. Every couple of minutes we had to increase the resistance on the bike and keep pedaling at around 80-90 percent of our fastest speed we could pedal. I do not think that I have ever worked my legs so hard! The resistance training was tough, but the speed sprints were even harder!

We would do sprints and then increase resistance again to “climb the mountain” again and then sprint even harder and faster. It was really something else. But in the end it was a great workout that really worked my sprints and endurance training.

Immediately following the spin class I worked out in the fitness center for another hour. I worked my legs muscles by far the most as well as abs and some arms before the morning was finished. (Below is the workout) It felt good to get in a nice long workout for once. I had been traveling and touring so many great places that it was difficult to get in a long workout. But this sea day gave me the perfect excuse to hit the gym for a big session. Up next, Mykonos and Delos Greece!


1)   Clean and Press-10lbs
2)   Squat Thrusts
3)   Half Man Makers-(modified on knees)-10lbs
4)   Static Front Raise + Squat-10lbs
(Set 1-16reps, Set 2-14reps, Set 3-12reps, Set 4-10reps, Set 5-8reps, Set 6-6reps. No break between sets after set 4.) 

Abdominal Workout:
1)   Crossover Crunch with arm+leg extended
2)   Reverse situps
3)   Toe Reaches-(extend legs upwards and keep the back on the ground. Extend arms to the toes in pulses.)
4)   Crossover crunch legs in the air and bringing the opposite elbow to the opposite knee
(4 sets of 20 reps)

Courtney Dumas

No comments:

Post a Comment