Saturday, July 9, 2011

Battle to the Final 8 and a Podium Spot Reno 2011

With memories from my dismal finish at previous Division 1A Summer Nationals in mind, I marched on into the venue. This year was going to be different. I had trained myself better both physically and mentally. The adrenaline was high and my heart was pounding as I heard the clashes of weapons, yells of victory and defeat, and the screeching of the scoreboxes as the fencers scored.

I came out of Juniors with my worst finish of the year 17th a few days earlier, which in retrospect was not horrible, but at the same time I had the potential to do so much more damage. I was hungry for a medal and redemption. I felt that it was my time to shine.

Pools started off shaky again with a priority victory. I told myself that I wanted to be more aggressive today than I had been in Juniors, that was no the case the whole day....

Pools were going well to some extent-I was 3-0, but the footwork again just was not flowing in that same great rhythm that made every fencer feel as though they were an Olympian. Suddenly I found myself losing two bouts back to back. 3-2 with one match left, I was determined to get out of my slump. I was tired of sleep fencing-fencing like a robot with all the right moves, but without the passion or the cognition to ignite the spark in one's step that led to victory.

I wanted this back and in my next bout I used my determination to win 5-0in a swift victory. Now I was rolling, or so I thought...

The DEs came about and my fencing was still struggling. I was fighting from behind in almost every match-leaving myself exhausted come the end of the bout. I was draining my fuel storage early and I would unfortunately pay for this later.

My best bout of the day, which ironically was the bout that probably cost me my chance at the final four and possibly the finals, was my round of 16 bout against Floyd. I was down 7-2 and was losing control of the bout until I finally found an answer to her forceful fleches and infighting. I would pressure her with plans to run away swiftly and score a counter attack or continue in the 8 line to the leg. It worked like magic!

With 30 seconds left in the second of three periods, I found myself up 13-12. Unfortunately I decided to be a little more daring then was called for and after two poorly setup leg attacks I was down 14-13 with 17 seconds left in the period.

Kill the clock time with the goal of reaching the one minute break before the third period. I had been incredibly naive and stupid not to set up the distance and I had to pay for it with the loss of the lead in a 15 touch bout! I needed horribly to get out of the period, but my opponent had other plans-she decided to push and attack me with only 17 seconds left!!! Her bread and butter move against me!!!!

Now was clutch fencing time and I needed to focus all my energy towards this touch! It was ultimate fencing time-Olympic touch time. Floyd pushed and pushed and finally gave me what I was looking for-the blade!!! I made a swift blade take and slammed my point into her body as fast as I possibly could.

One light came on-MINE. That brilliant, bright, shiny green light! I could not believe it!!! I scored with 1 second remaining in the period!!!! the score was now even at 14-14.

The next period was wrought with constant movement and adrenaline pounding actions. The time passed and the pressure was on for one of us to score. This was no time to fence scared-it was time to be the fencer I had trained to be- Courtney Dumas. I was in awe of no one. I was myself and confident in my actions.

I pushed and pushed Floyd down the strip and pressured her blade, creeping ever closer to my goal. I finally broke distance and dropped to the leg-this time with distance. I hit the hip with one light on, my light. The bout was over and I was victorious.

But I was to pay the ultimate price of such an exciting victory. My fuel was all but spent and I had my best friend left to fence to reach the final four.

Amanda Sirico was on fire that day- she went 6-0 with a plus 24 indicator and she had not tired herself the way I had in the DEs. And we were to fence.

I pulled myself together, ready for the challenge. But the footwork was just not there. I followed my plan as detailed before the bout. I pushed Amanda down the strip, but once I got her into the last meter line I remained flat footed. This resulted in her attack nailing me and when I did attack her leg like I had planned-she was ready. She unfortunately remembered I had a deadly leg touch from our last encounter at Junior Olympics.

My failure to pull the distance and run away after I pushed the distance combined with attacking into her trap led directly to an 8-2 deficit. And I was exhausted, but not done quite yet.

I pulled myself together for one last go for the bout and managed to reclaim my footwork and bring the bout to 10-12 score with me just behind two.

But it was too little too late- Amanda rattled off two quick touches before the end of the second period and one right at the start of the third period to win 15-10. My run was over and I was defeated.

I had made the 8, but had paid the price of poor footwork at the start of each bout leading directly to my exhausted state that in large part led to my defeat. Amanda was the better fencer that day and went on to win the gold medal.

I finished 6th and was extremely happy for my friend, but at the same time I wanted more and still do. Footwork will be my prime goal as I move further into the summer. This was a painful learning experience, but a necessary one that is one more small step towards reaching my goal to become an Olympic fencer some day.

Until next time!


Courtney Dumas

No comments:

Post a Comment