Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer Nationals Approaches

It's that time of year again. Summer is here and everyone is preparing for the biggest event of the summer and start of the fencing season. This year's Summer Nationals are in Reno, Nevada from July 1-July10, although only certain events are considered National Championship events (Y14, Veteran 40-49, Veteran 50-59, Veteran 60-69, Veteran 70+, Division IA, Division II, Division III, and Senior Team). My main event on the other hand, U19 or Juniors women's epee, is considered a part of Nac July. Other events in Nac July are Y10, Y12, U16 (Cadet), U19 Team, and Veteran Team. (I am also competing in Division 1A).

This year the competition looks to be stronger than ever. The number of fencers competing at Summer Nationals and Nac July this year is huge! The U19 women's epee alone has 191 confirmed entries and the men's U19 epee has 248 entries. Even the Division events have large number, DV2 men's sabre-145, DV2 women's epee-125, and DV3 men's foil-125 for example. There will be 3,427 competitors in entirety participating at this event. 

This will be the largest Summer Nationals ever, but more impressively it will be the largest fencing tournament in the world. It will be a real tough test, but should be really fun! My club, Hooked on Fencing, will have 2 youths, numerous Juniors/Cadets, and Veteran fencers competing this year.

While the tournament begins July 1, I do not fly out to Reno until the 4th. My toughest event, U19 is Tuesday the 5th, and my Division 1A event is not until Thursday the 7th. This year I am venturing out to Summer Nationals on my own, which I am greatly looking forward to. It will be nice to have some new found independence!

I have trained vigorously for this tournament- lifting weights, running, biking, swimming, and of course fencing hard all in preparation for these two days of competition. The pure thrill and excitement that fill the air at these events give the atmosphere an electrically charged feeling. Your senses are sharper, steps lighter, eyes wider, and adrenaline pumping. I never want to leave, win or lose, I live for the thrill of competition and challenge of each and every opponent.

This year will definitely be a very long and arduous competition, but I am beyond excited to hop on that plain and get out there and fence. Hopefully my hard work will pay off!

-Courtney Dumas

No comments:

Post a Comment